Advisory Council on Cycling in the Information System of the City Council
Information about the members of the advisory council, as well as dates and meeting documents can be found in the information system of the city council.
Next / Current meeting
- Tuesday, 11.0452021, 17:00 o'clock
The meeting will be held as a video conference. Advisory Council members will receive a link, guests please inquire.
- Minutes review
- Nollendorfer Straße (preliminary planning)
- Roundabout Wiesenstraße bicycle traffic guidance (link to photo documentation)
- Reworking of the Tatzendpromenade
- Statement by the Advisory Council for People with Disabilities on traffic calming in the city centre
- Information on bicycle theft
- Opening of one-way streets (status report)
- Miscellaneous (jostling grille Paradiesbrücke)
- Tuesday, 08.06.2021, 17:00 h, as video conference
Situation and objectives
We want to encourage Jena's citizens, especially students, to be mobile by bicycle. We are pleased that bicycle traffic has increased significantly in recent years, so that in Jena the share of bicycle traffic in total traffic is now about 15%. At the same time, we are aware of the inadequacies of Jena's bicycle traffic network. A part of the pleasantly growing bicycle traffic in Jena is currently not legal, not safe, not attractive.
- Pedestrians are unsettled by irregular cycling or by their own ignorance of which sidewalks are also open to cyclists (sidewalks with additional signs for cyclists, pedestrian zones, shared sidewalks/cycle paths).
- Conflicts with motor vehicles and tram tracks often endanger cyclists.
- High kerbs make progress uncomfortable for cyclists (kerb lowering).
Unfortunately, we also observe aggressive and irresponsible behaviour (e.g. inadequate lighting, inconsideration of pedestrians) on the part of some cyclists.
The Advisory Council on Cycling advises the City Council on cycling issues in Jena. It does not make binding decisions, but gives recommendations for municipal actions and decisions. Thus, it is an important building block for the promotion of cycling in Jena.
Representatives of the city council factions and the responsible offices of the city administration as well as representatives of associations and knowledgeable citizens meet regularly (monthly) and publicly to discuss how to improve the conditions for bicycle traffic in Jena.
In addition to political will, legal possibilities and financial planning, long-term preliminary planning is also important for the improvement of cycling conditions: In 2012, the cycling concept was revised with the active participation of the working group (Arbeitsgemeinschaft (AG) Fahrradverkehr) and adopted by the city council in January 2013.
The topics of the advisory board are wide-ranging, from the maintenance of cycling facilities and winter services to the improvement of individual problem areas, e.g. through kerb lowering and road markings, to participation in the planning of construction measures that affect cycling.